How to claim your divorce benefit from the GEPF


The "clean-break" principle was added to the Pension Fund Act 24 of 1956 on 13 September 2007.  This means that a non member spouse can claim their share of the benefit from the Pension Fund before the member resigns, retires or dies.

This however was not applicable to the Government Employee Pension Law and former spouses of a member had to wait until the member retired, resigned or died.

On 14 December 2011 the The GEP Law Amendment Act 2011 amended the law to provide for the implementation of the “clean-break” principle.  This means that former spouses of members contributing to the Government Employee Pension Fund (GEPF) can now claim their share of the fund as stipulated in their divorce order and don’t have to wait until retirement, resignation or death.

In order to claim your share of the Fund, your Divorce Order/Settlement MUST state that you do have a claim and the following should be specifically stipulated:

- The percentage that you are entitled to claim
- The name of the Fund (GEPF)

The non member has a choice between:

- Payment to be made to the non-member spouse's own account
- Payment to be transferred to an approved external fund.

At a rate of 2% of the total amount of the value of your share of the claim, Xpression Assist will hand deliver all paperwork on your behalf and offer all related feedback. This amount is payable by the client once the claim has been finalized.

Contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 083-320-0145 for more information.

Xpression Assist offers an administrative service and is not a Financial Institution and does not offer any financial advice.
All the information supplied by this website are intended as guidelines only.  It is based on factual advice given on the procedure for entering into a financial product transaction, or in the description of the financial product, or in answering routine administrative questions, or the giving of objective information about a particular product or the display or distribution of promotional material. Providing information that is commonly available is not considered as providing advice and does not fall under the FAIS Act.